Friday, July 24, 2009

LOST AND FOUND


Thursday, July 16/Friday, July 24, 2009

LOST AND FOUND

By Philip Cairns

Copyright 2009 by Philip Cairns


I found out the hard way

That endings can be amorphous,

Or sad or angry.

Sometimes confusing.


The phone just stops ringing

Though his scent lingers in the mind.

Marilyn’s demise still shines in the Collective Unconscious.

We are all doomed and lost,

Though we’re rarely aware of this fact.

Love puffs us up.


The trap door opens as we swing on the gallows.

Music eases the pain.

There is nothing we can do but live

Until Death comes to visit.

The house of cards collapses but no one seems to care.


Memories can change and taint the past,

Like fire burning a genius’s manuscript.

Sal Mineo died for your sins.

I never got a chance to kiss him

For we simply never met.


We all have bitter regrets.

Lost dreams.

Jewellery cases full of emeralds and silver.

Saved love notes wrapped in pink ribbon.

Gasping fantasies of wild, luscious sex.

A hazy sunrise through the kitchen window.


The night creeps up on you and steals your soul.

Aaron Copland’s “Quiet City” kisses my eardrums.

A shard of green glass penetrates my bowels.

Forget about sex and romance.

It’s too tragic to think about

But so much fun to do.


The aging transvestite fell down the filthy manhole

And broke both her legs.

She left her glasses at home.

No one spoke to her at the crowded club.

Her nylons were torn and her make-up was caked-on and smeared.

Myrtle thought she resembled Elizabeth Taylor

But she looked more like the Wicked Witch of the West.


Please surround me with love.

No criticisms or angry demands.

My hair is full of dust.

Lucky spiders crawl across my walls.

I greet them with kind words and a smile.


Faded celebrities are dying almost every day.

There’s a variety show happening in the sky.

I want to drown in talent.

Not boring TV and stale pre-packaged food.


The faint voices I hear in my head are soft and soothing,

Damning and delightful.

This path has called to me for countless years.

I wish I had more answers to get me through the days.


Life is a tall, thick, ageless Oak tree standing confidently on its own.

The hunger pangs never really go away.

I’m almost tired of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment