Wednesday, August 25, 2010

THE LAKE


Sunday, August 15, 2010

THE LAKE

By Philip Cairns

Copyright 2010 by Philip Cairns

The geese are quacking and squawking like crazy,
As I walk along the grass, not too far from the lake.
Do they feel that I’m intruding on their turf?

A sudden downpour forces me to take refuge in a cramped, smelly Port-A-Potty.
Better that than being drenched.
These daily walks in the bright sunshine fortify my soul,
Down to the marrow.

When I walk through the CNE,
I always stop to pray at the stone sculpture of Pan,
My very favourite God.
Pan enjoys his existence,
Scampering in the forest and playing his merry pipes.

Now, I sit on a park bench.
My shoes are two feet from the tide.
Someone moved it to this present and glorious location.
It was never this close to the water, before.

I look out at the boats and yachts in this beautiful lagoon.
The sun has gone behind a huge, grey cloud.
I’m drifting back to the sea at Cannes,
During the film festival.
Some of those yachts looked like the Queen Mary.
The constant parade of people on the Croisette,
With the hucksters and the buskers,
Reminds me of the CNE in late August.

Here, in Toronto, beside the lake,
The water soothes me.
Calms my silly storms.

I wish I had a house by the sea,
With no financial worries,
And constant love and contentment swirling inside its walls.
I feel like sitting here for decades.

These moments are so pure and pristine.
Smooth and supple as a baby’s skin.
No negativity to stain and electrocute the air.
It would be lovely to paint this scene, one day.
Green trees, sparkling water, the white of the boats.
The deep browns of the sand.

I’m transported to other places,
If only for brief moments, here and there.
Life is constant struggle,
When I leave this sacred space.
Pan, please answer my reasonable prayers.
You are my hope and salvation.

The sun comes out, again,
Leaving spots on my eyes,
When I look into its core.
The waves slap against the shore.
I love the gorgeous, lilting sound.

I don’t want to leave this safe place, though I must.
My life awaits me,
Back in the real world.
Soon, I must get up and move.
Thank you, Goddess,
For this momentary refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment