Thursday, August 26, 2010

LOOKING FOR SOLITUDE IN MOONLAKE LAGOON


Thursday, August 26, 2010/Friday, August 27, 2010

LOOKING FOR SOLITUDE IN MOONLAKE LAGOON

By Philip Cairns

Copyright 2010 by Philip Cairns

It’s a busy early evening in Marilyn Bell Park.
Hunky young joggers are getting in shape.
Bicycles whizz by.
Couples parade along the boardwalk.
Mothers are holding babies in the sun.
I’m walking very quickly,
Trying to keep in shape, soaking it all in.

The swans look gorgeous as they drift along the waves.
What do animals think about,
Besides food and mating and staying safe?
I guess I’ll never know.

Now, I’ve moved on to a secluded bench, beside the water.
Marilyn Bell Park is not even visible from here.
In this lagoon, near the Legion Hall,
There are very few people around.
Sailboats and yachts rest on the lake.
Some are on land, as well,
Asleep behind a chain-link fence.

A cute dark-haired guy and his wet dog keep running by,
Back and forth,
Irritating the hell out of me.
I wish they would just leave me in peace.

The lake is very calm, today.
It’s a deep blue shade.
Very placid and still.
The sun beats down on my exposed arms and face.
It feels so soothing.
I want to drink in as much as I can before it sets.

Farther down the beach,
An Asian woman stands on a large fallen tree,
Close to the shore.
A small sailboat lifts anchor and wafts slowly away.
Thank God the man and his dog finally leave.

The sun’s reflection looks like huge diamonds floating on the surface of the water.
The sand shifts beneath my feet, when I move.
I just want to be alone with the warm sun and my chilly thoughts.

Two young women in black T-shirts burst through the bushes.
They hover near me,
Then make their way out to a boulder in the water.
Their chattering grates on my nerves.
Is this the only place they can find in the whole beach
To enjoy the fading day?

I move away to the fallen log, further down the beach,
To find a little peace.
The tides are silent, at this moment.
Seagulls scream as they fly in circles.
Waves of strong emotion pour over me.

Two boys on bikes greet the young women
And join them on the rocks.
I’ve had enough of this spot,
For one day.

I can see the stones resting in the silt at the bottom of the lake.
If I were alone,
I would be much happier.
Yes, it’s definitely time to get up and continue my daily trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment